Wednesday, June 08, 2005

A Matter of Taste

First off let me announce that I got the new Coldplay CD, "X&Y", yesterday, and just as I expected, I LOVE IT! Eargasms abounded in my car, people gave me funny looks, it's just brilliant. I had dinner yesterday with a friend who can't stand Coldplay. He says all their music sounds the same, and he kind of has a point, but when your music is that damned beautiful, who gives a shit if it sounds the same or not? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Like everything in life, music is a matter of taste.

Which brings me to my second point. So, I started rehearsal for "The Merry Wives of Windsor" yesterday and I hadn't been home all day. I left rehearsal and went straight to the bar to meet my friend. Well, normally when I go to the bar, I wear something very comfortable and casual or something that's 'cute'. Well, needless 2 say, I didn't have a chance 2 change clothes and I honestly didn't even think about it. So, not ten seconds after I walk in the front door, my friend Terrence, who I hadn't expected to be there, comes waltzing over with a big shit - eating grin on his face and he says, "Saturn, I love you, that's why I have to be honest." From the way his eyes were surveying me as he said this, I already knew what was coming. "That shirt ... no! DON'T DO IT! It's hideous. Like, it's really awful! You look like an 80 year old jewish man. Like, I'm your friend so I had 2 tell U. U normally look really cute, but that shirt ... and those shoes ... no ... it's really tacky." The sad thing is once he told me this I was ready to leave. Not because I was mad at him or anything, but because I agreed with him! He was absolutely right! I wouldn't have been caught dead in that shirt at that bar! See, I have two sets of clothes ... the very square, boring, kacky style clothes that I wear to my job, and then the clothes that I wear the rest of the time. I tried to explain this to him and he was like "No, you need to look on point at all times. Even if you don't care about it at work, what if after work or on your break you go to the grocery store? You don't want to be wearing this, what if you see someone really cute. You should ALWAYS look your best." Well, he had a point.

So, now that Terrence had brought the very obvious problem of my hideous shirt to my attention, I had to do something about it. I wasn't going to leave, I hadn't had my drink yet! So, I unbuttoned the five year old beige, green and burgundy striped knit shirt and chunked it right in the trash. Yep, just like that crazy bitch with bowls I wrote about yesterday, shirt went bye-bye in the garbage chute never 2 be seen again. I was left wearing my green wifebeater, and if u didn't know, I'm ALL ABOUT wife beaters. I wear one under my clothes just about every single day. I like the way I look in them, more to the point, I like the way OTHER BOYS look in them, mmm, especially if they have a nice chest and defined arms and tatts and piercings and low hanging blue jeans .... mmmm, take me now, PLEASE!

Ok, I digressed a bit (this is what happens when you give up casual sex, doesn't take much to get you there!). So, I'm now in my tank, kacky pants ( I HATE tacky kacky pants, I only ever wear them to my square job) and worse, I'm in my "dentist" shoes. If I could have chucked those shoes too, I would have, but I wasn't walking around the bar in my socks.

The funniest thing about this is that the shirt that is now on its way to a landfill always got me LOADS of compliments whenever I wore it ... mostly from middle-aged white women, but still! Just earlier that day a co-worker complimented it (hence me wearing it to work in the first place ... I dress better than the owners most days!) That was also the shirt I was wearing on my first date with Chris, the 40 something year old that I dated 4 years ago ... the first date with a man I'd ever been on. And he really liked that shirt. Now I kind of wish I hadn't been so rash and thrown it away.

But better to leave the past in the past. Coincidentally, I saw Chris for the first time in months last weekend. Him and his boyfriend are moving to Boston at the end of August. Chris gave me confidence when I had none. I hope I get to hang out with them before they move away.

In closing, clothes like music like men ... are all a matter of taste.

"I just hope U understand that sometimes the clothes do not make the man." - George Michael, Freedom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home